Crystal Growth and Wafer Preparation
Description: Crystal growth, types of defect, and basic wafer preparation processes.
Length of time: 2 hrs.
Module: Crystal Structure
Module: Semiconductor Processing Measurement
1. Crystal growing
2. Wafer preparation
3. Epitaxial growth
Silicon layer deposition
Student will be able to:
1. Explain what is meant by (and give the reason for) "crystal growing" in semiconductor manufacturing.
2. Describe some methods used to grow crystals. Put major emphasis on the Czochralski (CZ) method including a description of the affiliated materials and equipment.
3. List some defects that can occur in crystals. Discuss causes and prevention.
4. Sketch a process flow to show major steps in wafer preparation from removal of grown crystal ingot to wafer packaging. Indicate equipment, tests, and measurements throughout.
5. Explain how orientation and resistivity are tested before a crystal is submitted to actual wafering steps.
6. Discuss the formation and nature of an epitaxial film when silicon atoms are deposited on a bare, clean silicon wafer.