Module 1: Introduction to Vacuum
Description: Introduces basic vacuum terminology, describes what a "vacuum" is, and discusses why vacuum is used in the manufacture of semiconductor devices.
Length of Time: 1 hours
1. Definition of "vacuum"
2. Uses of vacuum in semiconductor manufacturing
- Removal of contaminants
- Removal of chemical reactants
- Insures repeatable process pressures
Student will be able to:
1. Explain what a vacuum is.
2. Explain why a vacuum is necessary for process steps in the manufacture of semiconductor devices.
3. Identify three process steps where vacuum is used and the result that the use of vacuum produces.
O'Hanlon: Chapter 1 "Vacuum Technology"
Varian: Chapter 1 "Vacuum Fundamentals"