Module 12: Residual Gas Analyzers
Description: Provides fundamental information about gases necessary to understand vacuum device operation.
Length of Time: 4 hours
1. RGA versus mass spectrometer
3. Magnetic sector
4. Spectrum interpretation
Student will be able to:
1. State the purpose of a residual gas analyzer.
2. Identify the major components of RGAs.
3. Describe a common source analyzer and detector utilized in RGAs.
4. Describe the differences in mass filtering between a quadrapole and a magnetic sector RGA.
5. Analyze a mass spectrum in a typical vacuum situation.
6. Given a mass spectrum, determine if the system environment is a clean environment or a contaminated environment.
7. Use a RGA to differentiate between a leak and outgassing.
Chambers: Chapter 4 "Measurement of Pressure"
OHanlon: Chapter 8 "Residual Gas Analyzers"
Chapter 9 "Interpretation of RGA Data"
Varian: Chapter 5 "Gauges"