Module 13: Leak Detection
Description: Describes methods and equipment commonly employed to find leaks in vacuum components and systems.
Length of Time: 4 hours
1. Liquid seal
2. Mass spectrometer leak detector
3. Leak rates
Student will be able to:
1. Describe the liquid seal leak detection method.
2. Draw a block diagram of a leak detector indicating test manifold, isolation valve, accumulator or throttle valve, discharge gauge, mass spectrometer, roughing pump and high vacuum pump.
3. Demonstrate troubleshooting skills by systematic leak detection using
4. Relate leak rate to standard cc/sec.
Chambers: Chapter 7 "Leaks and Leak Detection"
OHanlon: Chapter 22 "Leak Detection"
Varian: Chapter 9 "Leak Detection"