Module 14: Vacuum Components and Materials
Description: Identification and familiarization of system components, vacuum materials, and their placement in vacuum systems.
Length of Time: 4 hours
1. Vacuum Materials
a. Elastomers and plastics
b. Glass and ceramics
6. Construction of systems
Student will be able to:
1. Describe the basic materials used in vacuum systems
2. Describe the hardware components found in typical vacuum systems.
3. Describe common joining techniques used in the construction of vacuum systems.
4. Describe the structure and provide applications for vacuum feedthroughs including high voltage, high current, rf, ferrrofluidic, water, and differentially pumped.
5. Describe where the various types of vacuum grease would be used and would be forbidden.
Chambers: Chapter 5 "Vacuum Materials and Components"
OHanlon: Chapter 16 "Materials in a Vacuum"
Chapter 17 " Joints, Seals, and Components"
Chapter 18 "Lubrication"
Varian: Chapter 6 "Vacuum Materials and Hardware"