Module 4: Phases/States of Matter
Description: Properties of the four states of matter and transitions between them.
Length of Time: 4 hours
1. Solid State
2. Liquid State
3. Gas State
4. Ionic State
5. Sublimation, condensation, & vaporization
6. Vapor pressure
Student will be able to:
1. Define the four states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and ionic.
2. Describe the processes involved when matter changes from one state to another.
3. Define the terms: sublimation, condensation, and vaporization.
4. Give an example of a material that sublimates.
5. Given a graph of vapor pressure versus temperature, determine the vapor pressure of a given material at a given temperature and relate that vapor pressure to vacuum system performance.
6. Given examples of semiconductor manufacturing processes, indicate which one function as a result of sublimation, condensation, or vaporization.
Varian: Chapter 1 "Vacuum Fundamentals"