Module 9: Mechanical Vacuum Pumps
Description: Description of the range, principles of operation and appication of low vacuum pumps.
Length of Time: 5 hours
1. Rotary oil-sealed mechanical pump
3. Dry pump
4. Cryosorption pump
5. Lobe pump (roots blowers)
6. Turbomolecular pump
7. Venturi pump
8. In-Line traps and Sieve traps
Student will be able to:
1. Sketch and describe the mechanism of a rotating vane mechanical pump.
2. Define "backstreaming."
3. Describe methods to eliminate backstreaming in mechanical pumps.
For each of the following pump types: rotary oil-sealed mechanical pump, dry pump, cryosorption pump, lobe pumps, venturi pumps, and turbomolecular pumps;
4. List the major components for each pump.
5. List an application of each pump in a vacuum system.
Chambers: Chapter 3 "Pumps"
OHanlon: Chapter 10 "Mechanical Pumps"
Chapter 11 " Turbomolecular Pumps"
Varian: Chapter 2 "Roughing Pumps"
Chapter 3 "High Vacuum Pumps"